Monday, May 16, 2011

Gratitude

In an effort to procrastinate from packing my clothes I thought I would start my blog. If everything goes as planned, tomorrow I should be on a plane over the Atlantic Ocean on my way to the Netherlands.

This summer I was granted the opportunity to play, coach and teach baseball in the town of Meppel in the Netherlands. I shouldn't go much further without thanking Greg Brumley for setting me up with a deal to travel, be housed, fed, and paid while playing and sharing the game I love. Thanks so much Greg, this looks like a dream come true.

People who believe in witchcraft have told me I "manifested" this. I say I put myself in the right position and got really lucky. [warning: boring back story]

It all started back in December when I realized that I was not nearly ready to give up baseball and grow up. At that point I dedicated myself full bore to training in order to go to and independent tryout and sign to play this summer. I was working out six days a week and eating and sleeping baseball. I even managed to zombie my way through stacking fruits and vegetables at Whole Foods to the point where I was able to keep a steady income.

This was all going great until May 1st when I had to move to Sebastopol, met a girl, and started working 5am shifts. My rhythm went down the drain and there arose a serious dissonance between my goals and actions to meet them. I tried to keep up my training but I was unable so I just got stressed out. (Sorry to all the people that had to be around me this month.) Until, like beacon of hope in a foggy sea, I get a call from Greg, who I had talked to months earlier about my desires to get back into professional baseball, saying "Why don't you go to Europe?"

Haha Greg, very funny. That should let me forget about the last four months I have sacrificed nearly all my time and energy for baseball.

It wasn't exactly what I had been looking for, but it was better. He introduced me to the idea of this trip and before I knew it, two weeks and dozens of emails later I have a ticket, a passport (in the mail. God I hope it arrives on time tomorrow so I can go) and a job in the Netherlands.

I am so excited, nervous, and anxious about this new adventure. Thanks to all my friends and family for being there for me. I am going to miss you all, but this is going to be AWESOME! TIME TO PACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment