Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Different Game

A player dragging the field with a motor scooter after my Junioren played a game in Diemen
People who have been around the game for a while say that in every baseball game there is a chance to see something you have never seen before. In the Netherlands, every time I turn my head I see something I have never seen before in my baseball experience. I try to act natural when I see cigarettes butts in the dugout, beers after the game, unrestricted metal bats in the hands of grown men, soccer cleats, or players telling me they just don't wear hats. I have even gotten used to each team only playing one game a week, but I have come to the conclusion that they only play eight innings here. I will not be able to get used to that.

(To anyone reading in the Netherlands, I am sorry. I have to tell all this to my friends back home.)

Last Saturday after having slept about an hour and a half due to the jetlag, I traveled with my team to the outskirts of Amsterdam. It brought back good memories of my American Legion summers traveling, joking and playing baseball with my friends. We arrived and would have taken batting practice but after two line drives ended up in the kids teeball game that was being played in our right field corner, that was cancelled and our hitters readied themselves by playing pepper. We then took an infield/outfield that was about all you can expect from a team that plays catch three times a week. This left just enough time for a smoke break before gametime.

My team came out swinging. We put up seven runs in the first inning and gave up eight in the bottom half of the inning. Seeing the umpires zone float from the ankles to the thighs, watching the balls squirt through gloves and seeing catcher catch many of the pitches standing upright, I knew this was going to be a long game. I will spare you.

The eighth inning came around and after the other team pushed their 20th run across the plate their team all gathered in the dugout and prepared to leave. Their in the eighth inning, with score of 20 to 10 the mercy rule had taken effect and that was all she wrote.

The following day my team took the field at home. Pretty fair game. Then in the fifth inning I made my first appearance. Those of you who have seen me play will not be surprised when I say, "Ball 1, Ball 2, Ball 3." And in three pitches I have everyone of my players and fans vehemently opposing the idea of bringing this dumb American to Meppel to play for their club. But then of course came, "Strike 1, Strike 2, Strike 3."

Skip to the bottom of the 8th inning with the Meppel Blue Devils winning 12-5. For those of you keeping score at home, that's a seven run lead with three outs to go. Any way, our 1st Baseman, who makes me look pretty averaged in stature, decides to steal second and crush their second baseman. Of course, words are exchanged and there is stirring in the dugout as we stand up. The scuffle on the field continues and I begin to walk to the dugout gate but by then, IT WAS ON. I was pushing my way out of the dugout by the time our third baseman was squaring a guy up on the chin and haymakers were flying. And I thought the Dutch were pretty neutral. A few minutes of this and the umpire got control of the situation.However, he must have been thirsty because  instead of ejecting players, right there in the 8th inning, he put his hands up and said that was the end of the game.

I am finally posting these a week after the fact. Hopefully we will see the ninth inning this week.
Tot ziens

No comments:

Post a Comment