Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Look Right Then Left


You may not know this, but the Aussies drive on the left side of the road. In order to prevent another body and life flipping collision, I have learned to look right then left when crossing the street. However, most differences I have picked up on here are not that stark. Unlike the more easily recognized idiosyncrasies I noticed in Holland, the land down under is very much the same as back home with a the odd peculiarity sprinkled in for flavor. 

The first thing I have to comment on is obviously the speech. While in Europe, I often encountered Australian backpackers and in the course of regular conversation I would often have to hold back laughter because simple directions on how to find the bathroom would conjure the likeness of Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter type adventures. Suddenly a simple trip to the bathroom became exciting if not life risking adventure. Slowly though, I have adjusted and picked up the “mates,” “good-on-yas,” and “it’ll be ‘rights.” I have however, found it hard to throw the four letter C-word around in conversation let alone using it to refer to those you like and respect. But give it time, I’ll be right.

The second instantly noticeable thing is the money. I’m not talking about the Monopoly looking notes and 1 and 2 dollar coins but the prices on everything. I have slowly accepted the fact that I am going to pay 40 to 50% percent more than what I am used to paying for the same things in the States. For instance when I saw the first Kentucky Fried Chicken I had seen in four months, I suddenly got hungry for a taste of home (like I said there is a lot of similarities here.) When I had got my fill, everything had tasted the same greasy goodness but it is impossible to get out of there with a meal costing less than twelve dollars. Levis 501s-$110, a liter of Coca Cola- $4.50, a Corona -$8: its everything. I was pleasantly surprised though when I saw how cheap rent and gym membership prices were… and then I found out that these were the prices per week!  On the day that I arrived I had $46 dollars to my name. I thought this was going to by a lean six months or a shorter stay. So the following day I went job hunting. 

 I convinced myself that $1.65 bus ticket was a worthy investment in order to find work. I headed in to town from my temporary host’s housing. I wrote down the names of the hotels and restaurants where I thought I might find casual work as the bus passed them. Finally the bus ended in the center of the Perth. I started to walk around and figured I had better just start asking around. What choice did I have? The first place seemed like a safe bet: Fast Eddy’s, a hamburger restaurant would surely hire and American. What luck! They were hiring, but I wasn’t so keen on working 11 pm to 5 am. I kept that application in my back pocket with a positive outlook. Emboldened by my hint of possibility, I walked down the block. The second place I tried was a classy but youthful place coincidentally a burger joint as well.  “Are you looking for any kitchen or wait staff?” I asked, and a short conversation made shorter, he replied “come back at six tonight.”

Within a week of my arrival I had set myself up pretty well: a baseball team, part time job bartending Friday and Saturday nights and serving and flipping burgers for weekday lunches, a public transportation card, a tax file number, an Australian phone number, and an Australian bank account with a savings account rate of just over 5%, yes, 5%! I thought I had it pretty “cruisey” as they say here but then second month came. Soon I will catch up to that but the 26 year old boy lives on!...just a little busier.

No comments:

Post a Comment