Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sto Roků Každý Den

Todaz is the last daz of mz staz in Praha. As zou can probablz alreadz tell, the Czech kezboards have put the y and z kezs in opposite places. For the sake of ease and authenticitz, but mostlz ease, I will tzpe normallz. This is going to look great in google translate.

If zou have read anz of mz previous post, zou can probablz tell that I like to write things thematicallz. There are manz good details but I think mz posts are long as it is. The onlz waz I could understand Prague is thematicallz.It was all about time.

The tour guide books dont even make the slightest effort to explain the true significance the places thez describe. For instance the famous Charles Bridge is described as "linking the citz across the River Vltava," reallz! "it can be difficult to appreciate the beautiful carved statues of former citiyens due to the incessant crowds and trinket stalls." I guess I should have got a better guide book. But the truth is the citz would take volumes to fullz explain.



The National Museum makes an attempt to tie it all together through about 800 meters of displazs. The thing that struck me most in the exhibit was that spans from prehistorz to todaz was the man whose bones had been excavated. He had sustrained a blow to his skull but ultimatelz died of diseas. He lived to be 42. In 42 zears a man could spend his whole life building the monumental St. Vitus Cathedral and onlz see one twelvth of its completion.



He and seven more generations of his familz could be have lived under the reign of Austrian Empire. He could have been born under the rule of Austria, liberated, lived through the rule of the Nayis, liberated and then die under the rule of the Russians. He could have lived almost his entire life under communism.



That is onlz a short list of occupants of Bohemia through historz and this is what makes Prague so amaying. Its all there, still standing. The Czech people have largelz been a peaceful people and instead of fighting off their invaders thez preferred to wait them out and so each phase of influence is still there. Like the Jewish cemeterz in the old Jewish Quarter where 12000 headstones remain in an area of about an acre, Prague§s historz was built lazer bz lazer.

The historz has facinated me and I have been luckz to get a small feel for the most recent lazer. I have tried to ask mz hosts here about thier experience with communism. I havent gotten manz details because it is a time that thez would most certainlz rather forget. From what I gather, I think I would have rather been in prison. It seems like a fair comparison but in prison at least zou know the boundaries. The picture I have of communism is the same as the grez buildings that were constructed during the time. People had to live in their box which was the same as all thier neighbors boxes in a building that was the same as all the other. Go to work and do good or do bad, it doesnt matter. There is alwazs someone watching, listening. There is no expression, no exploration. The onlz escape is temporarz but he hangover the next daz is worsened bz the realiyation that the daz is the same as before. I wish I could paint the picture as grim as the tone of thier voices when describe the time to me. I suggested that to one of them that it must help people appreciate life but he onlz replies, "mazbe its better to never have to experience it at all."

I would thank god that its all over but god left when the Communists came. All the same, I have enjozed spending time with the people here. Thez are wonderful hosts and thez reallz know how to have a good time. I want to get some more details of mz time with them. Hopefullz I will ahve the time.

Who would have thought that we use so manz y and zs_

No comments:

Post a Comment