Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gratitude II



An Open Letter to the Blue Devils,
It was over as fast as it began, faster. After spending the summer as my blog describes, “playing, coaching and learning about baseball in the Netherlands,” faster than you can say “Play Ball!” it all came to an abrupt stop. 

I found out it was not possible to extend my 90 day European Union visa around the 90th day of my stay. I am not exactly the most law abiding citizen, but I do not consider myself and international criminal either. At the risk of being deported, paying fines and/or a three year black list from traveling to Europe, I opted to leave. 

Obviously it was a hard decision. My team only had 3 games left and it may have been possible to stay under the radar until mid-September but after pouring over many a internet travel forum the chances of getting caught really began to outweigh the chances of the alternative. 

I left out of Schipol airport on August 18th, 93 days but the same day three months later that I entered the country. I made it out and maybe I could have stayed, but what’s the point in looking back. For being the first time in over ten years that the club brought in an American player, we had a successful summer. The juniors learned and ton and it has been evidenced in every one of their practices and the men’s team went 6-3 in the time that I was there and will maintain their place in the 1st division. It was too short but it was a success.

It was a great success for me too. I probably learned as much about coaching as the guys than they learned about playing and had a great time playing with the guys. I thoroughly enjoyed playing and clowning with both my teams and learned that the celebration in the club house after the game is even better than winning the game. I hope someday my junior team will get to discover that.


Thank you to everybody who made it possible for me to get there, my new Dutch family, all the people who took care of me while I was there, everybody who was willing to speak English to me, everybody who was willing to forgive me for my Crazy American ways, everybody who bought me a beer, the great bartenders of the club house, my catcher, everybody who taught me something about Meppel or Holland, the parents who drove us to games, my teammates, the grounds men for the beautiful field and club house, everybody in the club. Also thank you especially to Nanno, yes Nanno, Bert, Bert, Bert, and Peter. I am forever grateful to all of you.  I really hope is that the guys I coached learned a lot and will enjoy the game with their new knowledge and make the 90 days turn into a future of good, fun Blue Devils baseball.

Thanks so much,

De Amerikaanse

No comments:

Post a Comment