Friday, July 29, 2011

Filling in the Gaps




It’s been a long two weeks.  The two weeks ago Wednesday I headed for Spain for yet another once in a lifetime experience.  I went, as I said in my last two posts, to Pueblo Ingles and for a moment of sun and solitude in Valencia. I slept in ten hours last night and I think I am finally caught up on rest enough to mentally digest the whole experience.

Wednesday
On the plane I had a long conversation with a cool punk rock drummer… When I got to the bus stop I noticed what had to be the most stereotypical Spanish girl ever. She had a red carination in long black hair, red lipstick, and was waving a red fan. She wore a black blouse with lace low around her shoulders with black pants. I was happy to be in Spain.
On the bus I spoke with a Portuguese man about Portugal and his job as for Johnson and Johnson eyewear. I couldn’t stop looking at the girl. The final stop was at the train station where everybody got off. The girl made every effort to show that she wanted to talk so I finally asked some lame question about the train station. The rest of the day was spent touring the central park called the Retiro with her. I checked into the hostel and after I went out to dinner with the girl for Cuban food…oh my god! That night we danced salsa in the courtyard of the palace until 3 in the morning.

Thursday
In the morning I went for a run and a workout in an area that has all the par course stuff without all the running. For lunch I met the Anglo members of my program for paella and a flamenco show. 



When in Spain, do as the Spanish do. I spent the rest of the napping, talking, and making out, in the park with my new Spanish amorcita. That night it was all about Tapas and Beer! I called it an early night because the bus left for el Aldeaduero early the next day.


Friday to Friday
I talked and talked and talked my brains out. I met great new friends and ate and ate and ate. I swam in the pool and the river. I danced and drank and talked some more.
Friday night, completely worn thin, I tried to sleep on the bus back to Madrid but I couldn’t stop talking. I checked into my hostel with big plans of going out for the night again. But as soon as I sat on the bed it was game over.




Saturday
I toured more of Madrid and got into the Reina Sofia modern art museum for free. I met a girl from Uruguay while trying to figure out Surrealist works. I had fun talking pictures of people with the paintings.
 I headed for Valencia on the futuristic “AVE,” Spain’s high speed train. I walked to my hostel in Valencia, met up with a roommate from the Bahamas and we headed out for the night at 1. Valencia is a good place to party. We spent the whole night dancing with a group of girls from Venezuela, or I should say the tops of their heads.


Sunday
I got into my hostel at 8 in the morning. Lights out until 1 in the afternoon. I had planned to head to the beach but the energy wasn’t there. I took my camera for a walk to check out the romantic beauty of the city. I had not the energy to understand the classical beauty in the history and meaning in the city. I made dinner of lentils and rice out of the free food in the cupboard in the hostel kitchen and then it was bedtime.


I dont know what this is, but it looks cool.

 
Paella


Outside the Botanical Gardens of Valencia


Tapas with some Aussie Travelers


A Valencian Market. Dont touch
Monday 

Finally, I made it to the beach with, of all people, a gang of nine Dutch girls who had rented bikes and had an extra for me. Apparently riding bikes in Spain is a bit different than Holland.  We made it to the beach alive, barely, and the weather was perfect.

I struck up a conversation with a guy wearing an SF Giants who turned out to be a hockey player from Ottawa. Coincidentally he had also been living in Holland for a school term. We compared stories, shared plenty of laughs and enjoyed the unbelievable sights of the Mediterranean beach.
That night, to no one’s surprise, the Dutch girls drank me under the table and I headed to bed to catch my flight the next day.

Tuesday
I had not messed up my travel plans once in the whole time trip…yet. I made it to the Valencia airport with plenty of time to hear all about a 19 year old Aussie traveler’s crazy stories. We sat on the plane next to Frenchman who moved to Iceland originally for soccer but stayed there for a job with Adidas and the speed. I learned more than I ever had about soccer from this guy. I am slowly beginning to appreciate the sport.
A four hour layover in Paris’ Charles Degual airport was enough of those people for me. People of France: Sorry I am American, Give me a break!

Finally I made it to Amsterdam and I finally did it. Thanks to a train snafu, I got to spend the night in Amsterdam. I wore up on a bench overlooking a canal in the morning and finally made it back to Meppel.
What a crazy adventure it had been! I am happy to be back in Meppel where I can certainly appreciate the feeling of normalcy. The people are still welcoming and the quiet bedroom is soooo comfortable. It felt good to rest and be on the baseball field the last couple days. 

Good morning!


I had to rush this post because guess what, I’m off again. My host is taking me to Prague to visit the baseball clubs’ sister club in the Czech Republic. It’s hard for me to believe too. I am so excied. More news to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment