Thursday, September 8, 2011

More words. None are mine.

I ran around Bulgaria some more. I've been staying in a hostel that is a little more quaint. I have been busy and tired at the end of the day. Something really cool happened here yesterday. After working with just the two proprietors of the hostel for two days,  an American girls/princess who showed up here directly from Boston. Initially I unloaded an earful on her that I could not have expressed to anyone here. She too has been keeping up a blog. Her entry for today is priceless and captures the beauty and innocence of the culture/way of life/solitude shock. This is her third day in Bulgaria and first full day putting in work at the hostel. From http://workin-for-the-weekend.blogspot.com/ Enjoy: 

Dirty Splinters in my Dirty Hands

Lord have mercy...  I no longer have bank teller hands, but I now have construction-worker hands.  Re-cap of my day:
1. Woke up, and had a wicked good breakfast.
2. Spent several hours sanding a wooden rail... I can't remember the last time I had splinters in my hands.
3. Had English tea (which I think all people should adopt in to their culture).
4. Got more splinters.
5. Had lunch (I felt like I was living in the Shire with other hobbits, having first and second lunchies (lunch and tea time within a 90 min time span)
6. Picked crab apples
7. Began to pare crab apples (which they are so small, every time I tried to pare one, I ended up removing the core stem, and most of the skin on my pointer finger)
8. Switched to dish washing... which was a scam, because it was over an hour worth of dish washing...maybe like three hours worth -no lie?  And let's just put it this way, I fo'show use way more water just brushing my teeth than I did washing, lunch, tea, canning, and distilling dishes.  The sink is broken, and get this, I was wiping oil out of a pan, worried about oil clogging their septic system, and it hit me... I am in rural Bulgaria -they have no septic system.  Turns out, the 'septic pipe' drains onto their lawn.
9. Bonfire
10. Dinner
11. No shower. Hairy legs. Dirty skin about to be n my nice sheets.

Also, Bulgaria fun-fact, the reason why some of the cops drive Porsche cars is because whenever they bust anyone (drug dealers and all); if the car (which is usually stolen) isn't claimed, the police get to keep it after 5 months.

People in Holland, I am still alive. I appreciate all the care that you have extended my way.
I will put a post up this weekend. Na zdravi!

No comments:

Post a Comment